Wednesday 17 July 2019

Poorly Parked Vehicles in Chearsley

By Mark Gillis.

"Last Thursday morning, the 11th July, I found a Thames Water van parked on the pavement as shown in the photo below. I could just about squeeze past, but I’m aware that that is the route for a number of people to go to CHUFS and would therefore have meant that mothers with toddlers or pushchairs would have been forced into the road. Similarly any elderly or infirm pedestrians would have not been able to get past the van and would have ended up in the road too.

I’m sure we’re all familiar with the traffic issues in Chearsley and recognise that that bend in the road (just below the Chestnut tree on the way down to Cuddington) has a constant stream of traffic, particularly in the morning, including heavy goods vehicles and drivers who do not recognise the 30 mile an hour limit as applying to them. Not an ideal stretch of road to be forced onto on foot.

I wrote to Thames Water and they have told me that the driver in question will be “dealt with accordingly”. That wasn’t my intention, to be honest; I only asked that Thames Water ask their drivers to park with consideration and not use pavements.

If anyone else comes across this sort of parking, from Thames Water or any other company, I’d recommend taking the same course of action; take a photo if you can, email the company and do let your Parish Councillors know ( ChearsleyPC@Chearsley.comso that they can keep a log of similar incidents"